Essential Oils For Pain
Life is full of aches and pains - some minor, some major. After a long day, many people find themselves reaching into the medicine cabinet for some aspirin to soothe the daily stress headaches, joint pains and muscle aches that come with simply being human. However, these types of drugs are not innocuous and often come with dangerous side effects that accumulate the more we take them. Luckily, nature has a solution – Essential oils.
One of the most invigorating and enjoyable natural ways to manage everyday aches and pains and even serious, chronic pain, is the application of essential oils. Essential oils are potent and highly concentrated oils of plants, which many of our modern medicines are actually derived from, without the added chemical content.
Let’s get into the oils now! Below you’ll find a list of essential oils that are perfect fits for soothing your sore and painful muscles.
- BLACK PEPPER OIL- Black pepper is one of the best oils for muscular aches and pains. It is highly warming and circulation improving. It also contains pain relieving properties. For this reason it is great not only for relief or arthritis and sore muscles, but for pre-exercise pain prevention and stiffness reduction.
- WINTERGREEN OIL - The wintergreen plant is the only plant in the world besides the birch tree that contains natural methyl salicylate, the main ingredient in aspirin. It has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antispasmodic properties and therefore is often effective against headaches, muscle pain and stiff joints - anything you would use aspirin for!
- LAVENDER OIL– Lavender is one of the top essential oils for relaxation and pain relief. It is traditionally used to treat insomnia, headaches and muscle strain. Lavender is also one of the most gentlest essential oils on the skin.
- GINGER OIL – Ginger oil provides relief from aching muscles and spasms. Ginger supports muscles in this way with it’s warming action together with its analgesic properties. These properties help it to soothe painful joints, muscles and symptoms of arthritis.
- SANDALWOOD OIL - sandalwood essential oil is often used to treat muscle spasms, lymph node congestion and sciatica. It is effective in relieving skin irritations such as poison ivy and insect bites due to its anti-inflammatory nature.
- EUCALYPTUS OIL - Massaging eucalyptus oil over sore joints and muscles helps to relieve aches and pains as it contains strong analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- PEPPERMINT OIL - A refreshing and uplifting oil, peppermint helps to reduce mental fatigue and improve concentration. It is also beneficial for aching joints and muscular aches and pains when applied in massage or bath.