Top Essential Oils For Pain Relief
- Lavender - This is probably the most famous essential oil for pain relief and relaxation. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and sedative properties and it helps to relieve muscle tension and spasms, joint pain and headache. There have been studies that show pain levels can be increased by poor sleep. Improving the amount and quality of sleep helps you reduce those pain levels.
- Wintergreen - Wintergreen oil is excellent for treating skeletal pains and neuralgia. It is commonly used to treat arthritis and muscle pain resulting from sports injuries. Always use it diluted with carrier oils when applying to the affected area. It can relieve a headache and sore throat too.
- Cayenne – Cayenne is surprisingly effective in relieving the most severe types of pain such as that of shingles. Because of its potency, it has to be used in a much-diluted form. A little cayenne oil goes a long way. A single drop of this thick, viscous oil mixed with a light carrier oil like coconut oil makes it easier to apply. Use it topically to relieve arthritic and rheumatic pain and neuralgia.
- Clove essential oil - The oil extracted from cloves is highly spicy and pungent and gives a burning sensation when applied on the skin in the undiluted form. This is immediately followed by an anaesthetic action which helps provide almost instantaneous relief from acute pain as in the case of a toothache.
- Yarrow essential oil - The essential oil is antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory, and contains salicylic acid which is behind the analgesic effect of aspirin.
- Sandalwood - It is a powerful pain reliever whether it is muscle pain, skeletal pain or neuralgia. Use a few drops in an infuser or take a daily dose of 3 drops of pure oil in a cup of water. This has been known to reduce pain due to endometriosis.
- Ginger - Fresh ginger and its extract are popular as digestive aids, but the essential oil is just as effective in treating a number of painful autoimmune conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, lupus etc. The essential oil can be taken internally or used topically or inhaled. Unlike the analgesic drugs used to manage the above conditions, ginger oil therapy has been found to have no adverse side effects even when used for extended periods of time.
- Rosemary - Rosemary has analgesic and antispasmodic properties. It is also good for relieving back pain as it improves blood circulation.
- Chamomile - Chamomile oil helps to control muscle spasms and has pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties.
Juniper - The essential oil is used to treat a number of painful conditions such as haemorrhoids, colitis, and dysmenorrhea. Sitting for 15 to 20 minutes in a hot bath to which a few drops of the oil are added helps relieve haemorrhoids. A few drops mixed with a spoonful of olive oil or mixed into an herbal tea can be taken internally to treat colitis and indigestion. Its carminative effect relieves pain due to gas accumulation. Juniper berry oil is used topically to treat rheumatic pain too.